Langkawi is located in the state of Kedah, and it is this green and tropical island that countless travellers to Malaysia flock to year after year. If Kuala Lumpur is famous for it’s wonderful city atmosphere, shop-till-you-drop malls and a never-ending, vibrant nightlife…it’s all very different in Langkawi which is known more for its stunning beaches, tropical rain forest and five star, laid back relaxation.
Visitors to Langkawi often come to be pampered, to laze among the many world class beaches the island offers and to enjoy the rich Malay food and hospitality that are synonymous with practically all the Langkawi hotel resorts. If you come here for a holiday, chances are you wont want to leave.
Because Langkawi is an island that is separate from Kuala Lumpur, most holiday makers to Langkawi tend to fly in, mostly from Kuala Lumpur. Aside from spectacular beaches and jungle (some of which merges together quite spectacularly), Langkawi is also known for being a duty free island. This means that if you’re staying here, you’ll be able to pick up a quite wonderful bargain or two on the cheap – in fact, if you’re doing both Kuala Lumpur and Langkawi, you’re well advised to do the bulk of your shopping in Langkawi as the same souvenir & craft products are available for upto 50% less.
There are a couple of towns that most tourists visit during their stay in Langkawi – Kuah (the island capital) and Pantai Cenang (a bustling town with tiny markets and stalled sprawling as far as the eye can see). Most facilities such as money changers and banks tend to be located in Kuah, though aside from the Golden Eagle there is not too much to interest the visitor to Malaysia here. Other than that, the remarkable beauty and nature is what draws the throngs of tourists to Langkawi year after year.
Top Ten Langkawi Experiences
– Stay at one of the glorious five star Malaysia hotel resorts such as the Andaman or the Datai and be treated like a celebrity.
– Catch some breath-taking scenery from the summit of the Langkawi Cable Car experience.
– Pamper yourself at one of the many five star spa experiences at one of the many stunning spa’s situated within the island.
– Study Malaysian life first hand as you stroll through the towns of Kuah and Pantai Cenang, watching the locals barter in the night markets and picking up a bargain or two for yourself.
– Stop off for a cocktail and a relaxing meal at Telaga Harbour Park.
– Enjoy an island hopping trip and experience the variety and culture of Malay life.
– Take a Mangrove Tour and immerse yourself inside ancient jungles and rivers – walk into the Cave Of Bats and Crocodile Cave.
– Watch the Crocodile Show and see these magnificent creatures feeding.
– Check out some of the wonderful sea creatures to be found in South East Asia by visiting the Aquarium at Pantai Cenang.
– Laze at one of the many stunning beaches to be found anywhere in the world.
Whether you’re a sophisticated traveller or you just want to backpack your way into paradise, you’ll certainly find what you’re looking for in Langkawi. It is the ultimate South East Asia experience.