Traveling could be exciting or frustrating depending on traveling journey you've experienced. However, if you are fully prepared for your traveling, then everything should be more enjoyable than miserable. Here are 15 useful traveling tips you must know before traveling overseas. I advise you to go over all of them before you plan your traveling journey. You'll be surprised how easy to neglect some of these traveling tips, and how important they are for ensuring a successful and enjoyable journey.
- Avoid wearing anything that contains metal when traveling through the security checkpoint. Things such as clothing, jewelry, or other accessories that contain metal should be avoided.
- A valid passport is internationally recognized as a travel document. Some countries require a visa to access. If you need a visa, apply two months ahead of time to avoid paying high-fees for emergency situation.
- If you travel with a child who has your custody, make sure you have a passport for that child as well. If the child is not yours, make sure you bring along a signed, notarized document from the parent (s).
- Be familiarized yourself with the destination. Find out its culture, food, laws, and mostly avoid known dangers.
- Take precautions to avoid being a target of crime. If you become a victim of crime, contact consular officer to resolve the problem.
- Avoid to travel to the country that your own country has no diplomatic relation with.
- Be familiarized yourself with conditions at destination that might affect your health. Make sure you check your overseas medical insurance coverage. It may not cover you overseas. If you plan to stay long, you may consider to buy a short-term policy to cover you there.
- Consult your doctor before you bring medications or fill prescriptions. Carry a letter from your physician if necessary. Always put your medications in your carry-on bag for easy access.
- For people who wear glasses / contact lens, it is advice to take an extra pair of glasses or take disposable contact lens with you. Always put your glasses or contact lens in your easy-access bag.
- Make sure you have a photocopy of your passport, credit cards, or any other import items with you while traveling. Keep one set of these copies at home.
- If you travel with your pet, find out ahead of time to see if you are allowed to take your pet with you. If you are allowed, get some tips of traveling with your pet from your vet.
- Disabled travelers have to find out the standards of accessibility in certain countries. When making reservations, inform the travel agent about your disability and may request a wheelchair be brought to the gate upon your arrival.
- For people who adopt a child oversea, you need to obtain an immigration visa for that child in the country of adoption.
- Do not carry too much cash with you for your trip, but make sure you have enough money in case of an emergency. Avoid putting all your money in one place.
- Find out what items you can or can not bring back with you upon returning to your home country.
In short, one must plan well for traveling overseas. Knowing the above 15 traveling tips before traveling overseas may have saved you tons of headaches. Your traveling journey may bring you more memorial joys than unpleasing experience.